The State Department announced on Thursday (20 April) that an American citizen had been kἰlled in Sudan during fἰerce fighting between two opposing generals, as the United States repositioned troops in the area in preparation for a potential evacuation of the U.S. Embassy in Khartoum.
One American citizen’s deἀth in Sudan has been confirmed, according to a State Department spokeswoman. We have been in contact with the family and send our sincere condolences for their loss.
In order to show respect for the deceἀsed’s family, the State Department chose not to provide more information about the deἀth.
Fighting between forces commanded by Gen. Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, commander of the Sudanese Armed Forces, and Gen. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, commander of the Rapid Support Forces paramilitary group, has continued in Sudan despite a ceasefire intended to stop the bloodshed. This week, sh0ts were fir*d at a marked U.S. diplomatic convoy, but no one was hurt.
John Kirby, a spokesman for the National Security Council, said the Pentagon is “moving forward to pre-position some military forces and capabilities nearby just for contingency purposes in case they would be needed for any kind of evacuation.”
President Biden had recently given the order to move, according to Kirby, but he emphasized that no decision had been made on the evacuation of American personnel.
Kirby added, “We want to make sure we have the capability available in case it’s needed. According to a U.S. official, the Pentagon has dispatched special operations personnel to the tiny Horn of Africa nation of Djibouti.
The Defense Department stated earlier in the day that U.S. Africa Command is keeping an eye on the situation and “conducting prudent planning for various contingencies.”
“As part of this, we are deploying additional capabilities nearby in the region for contingency purposes related to securing and potentially facilitating the departure of U.S. Embassy personnel from Sudan, if circumstances require it,” the statement said.
American citizens in the nation have been told to take cover. Vedant Patel, the deputy spokeswoman for the State Department, stated on Thursday that it is “at this time not safe to conduct a U.S. government-coordinated evacuation of private U.S. citizens.”
You can also take a look at other latest news we have provided you in below links:
- White Homeowner Arrested After Fἰring at 16-Year-Old Black Boy
- Chinese Trapeze Performer Dἰes during Display as Spouse Watches
Patel said that no specific threats have been made against embassy staff or American citizens currently present in the nation and that all U.S. officials are present and accounted for.
An immediate ceasefire is being pushed for by senior U.S. officials who are in close communication with the leaders of both parties, according to a National Security spokeswoman.
If you wanted to check out more latest news then you can join us on our Twitter account.